Greetings from sunny Penang, Malaysia!
I’ve been back for about a week now, and it’s been lovely. Just thought I’d update you on a little of what I’ve been up to the past week.
Updates and Musings:
- I’ve been eating. A lot. Yeah, so what else is new? Since my aunt and uncle were visiting from the US, we’ve been eating out every single meal. And that includes breakfast. It’s bloody darn difficult to abstain because, let’s face it, I very rarely have the perseverance to stay away from food. A few days of eating out has given me really bad stomachache for days. Now that they’ve left for the US, I’m looking forward to simple oats for breakfast and eating in once more.
- For every holiday, I’ve always brought more clothes than necessary because I don’t want to be stuck having clothes in the laundry. This time, for some reason, I brought very little clothes back to Malaysia. I guess I could buy from here if I wanted, and then I forgot that Malaysian sizes = anorexic sizes. Everyone’s so thin here. I can’t even wear a bloody XL. GRRR.
- The BB cream phenomenon here is mindblowingly massive. Every other brand sells one. I reckon they’re only targeted to the Asian market,because these sure aren’t available in Australia. Bobbi Brown has one, The Body Shop, Clinique, Maybelline, Estee Lauder and even Dior. That’s excluding all Asian brands that already stock them. Unfortunately, the prices of the luxury-brand BB creams are high, and I’d rather buy their proper foundations than to slap AU$60 on a BB cream.
- I adore the Christmas decorations in shopping centres in Malaysia. Some of over-the-top, some very tastefully done. Either way, the atmosphere is lovely.
- Went for the cheapest (and quite honestly, the most painful) massage I’ve had with my dear friend, Hester. It was RM39 (approximately AU$12) for almost 2 hours. Unfortunately, the masseuse was quite heavy-handed for what they called a ‘relaxing massage’. I’m sore from head to toe now. I don’t think I’ve ever said “woah lighter lighter!” repeatedly for a massage before
- Finally checked out Lunasol eyeshadow palettes a few of you were raving about. They were very pretty, but not really to my liking as I found them too sheer and far too shimmery. ‘Tis a pity, because the only thing in my shopping list this time (or at least, a ‘must check out’) were the Lunasol eyeshadow palettes. On the other hand, their new loose powder’s absolutely gorgeous. I’m still deciding on whether I wanted to get one or not. I don’t need it, but really want it. Typical me
- Mum and I will be putting the Christmas tree up very soon. She’s very happy the tree’s going to be up this year, because it wasn’t last year (I wasn’t back for Christmas, and my brother was away in Japan for work). We have the most over-the-top, overstuffed, somebody-just-vomited-Christmas-all-over-it Christmas tree I know, and I love it. Will post a picture of it once we finally get the tree out of storage.
- The shopping has truly begun, and it did on the 2nd day I arrived in Penang. Watsons has always been my favourite store (it’s like Priceline), and I cannot resist going into one even though I may not have anything I need. Watsons is stocking quite a number of Japanese brands now e.g. Hada Labo, Aqua Label, Aquamoist, DHC, Biore, etc. I even found my favourite Naruko there. I don’t think I’ve ever come out of a Watsons empty-handed. Yikes
And that about wraps up my first week in Malaysia. Met up with my dearest girlfriends, bumped into a few friends and most importantly, enjoying my time with my family.
Makeup-free most of the days. Only makeup is on nails – OPI Austin-Tatious Turquoise
I hope you lovelies are well, and I’ve really missed blogging. I can’t do much here because it’s difficult to include pictures if I blog on the iPad, and my brother’s computer’s wonky. I’m currently nicking my dad’s laptop, which I’m sure he’ll want back soon.
Till then, if I don’t see you before Christmas, have a good one!